Overcoming Anxiety

“Concentration is a fine antidote to anxiety.” —Jack Nickclaus

Raelynn Foster, Reporter

Anxiety is a perfectly rational and normal thing to experience. However, being anxious can ruin your mood and your day. So get comfortable, take a deep breath, and read on to pay a long-overdue visit to your happy place. 

1. Get Comfy

Seeking comfort is something that everyone does, whether it’s from a friendly face, a favorite song, or a pet. A lot of anxiety comes from being somewhere you aren’t used to or trying to something new, but getting lost in some good music can calm you down pretty quickly. Don’t stay stuck in that uncomfortable situation; find a friend to laugh with or read part of that book you’re obsessed with. Finding comfort in stressful situations is the key.

2. Breathe

Maybe it sounds a little ridiculous because you already do that all day long, but focusing on slowing your breathing helps get rid of the fast heartbeat and shakiness that can accompany anxiety. Simply breathe in through your nose for five seconds and out through your mouth for seven. Imagine that the deeper you breathe, the more relaxed you feel.

3. Time to go to your happy place

When you’re tense and hyper-focused on your anxious feelings and thoughts, try meditating to relax. Meditating puts your body and mind in a calm state, focusing on nothing, and taking deep breaths will help you calm down. Close your eyes and take a deep breath in. Imagine you are by a waterfall; you can hear the water rushing and feel the wind blowing around you. Exhale. As you listen to the light songs of birds and feel the soft grass underneath you, imagine your anxieties flowing down the waterfall and disappearing into the horizon. Meditation is used by many cultures all around the world for harmonizing the mind and body and for clearing thoughts. Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are considered the five major religions that practice meditation. Take a few minutes out of your day and try it.

Anxiety may be overwhelming but there are a lot more solutions than you think. While there are many solutions not every one of them will work for you and that’s okay. Everyone gets anxious and no matter what the issue is you will succeed.

“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.” —Mahatma Gandhi