What’s New On The Block?

Netflix Show Catches the Attention of JCHS Students

A new original Netflix series has been trending over social media and in the whispers of James Campbell High School (JCHS). The series, On My Block was first released on March 16th, 2018 and has been placed on Netflix’s trending list in less than a month since its official release date; only one season has been released containing ten episodes. The show is based on four teenagers in South Central LA, trying to survive high school in a poverty filled neighborhood and the dilemmas on their journey. On My Block is classified as a coming-of-age fiction and a comedy-drama film. The show has been grabbing the attention of JCHS students and teenagers across the nation.

Caitlin Manansala, JCHS student and fan of On My Block. Photo by Kylee Kamalii.

Caitlin Manansala, a junior and fan of the show said, “I started watching it only two days ago and I’ve already finished the entire season.” Manansala first heard about the show from several of her friends.

She eventually began watching On the Block at the request of her friends. “I can relate to some of the problems the characters in the show experience, especially with family and money,” said Manansala.

The show inspired her to be the first person in her family go to college despite financial difficulties. “The show also gave me a big appreciation for my community. Ewa Beach definitely isn’t the most advanced—but we’re fortunate enough to have a safer area and not have to really worry if we’ll even wake up the next morning,” said Manansala.

The show first introduces the main characters as incoming freshmen who are expected to adjust to societal expectations. “There are multiple types of plots that are played into the story like romance, violence, and humor, so I understand it’s something students look forward to,” said Keona Mora, a JCHS senior. “I think people can use it as an example for what they should and shouldn’t do because there are a lot of things that all the characters learn and we can apply it to ourselves.”

Erica Gaskin, a JCHS junior said, “I heard the cast was all people of color and I wanted to see the representation of the lead cast being minorities, it doesn’t surprise me that it has become popular since a lot of Campbell is made up of minorities.” Gaskin is an African-American Filipino. She supports shows like On My Block, 13 Reasons Why, and Orange Is The New Black, all which give minorities or kids in communities a voice and sense of inspiration.

On My Block received 99% of likes from the google users that rated the show and a 93% rating (Rotten Tomatoes). With help from the large amount of viewings the show has acquired, Netflix announced on their official twitter that the show will be renewed for a season two. Eddie Gonzalez, a co-creator of the show, wants to explore more along the concepts of remorse and guilt in the next season, basing this off of the cliffhanger at the end of first season.

“I can definitely say that I’m for sure watching the second season,” Mansala said.