JCHS Senior Receives National Guard Minuteman Scholarship

Keona Blanks, Editor

On March 11 during period one, James Campbell High School (JCHS) senior Ashyln Ufano received a gigantic $70,000 check from Sergeant William Chea of the Army National Guard. “What I have here is everything for her education [and] $70,000 for her to spend on whatever she likes,” Sergeant Chea said to Ufano’s period one class during her surprise recognition.

Ufano’s check was a part of her award from the National Guard Minuteman Scholarship which covers four years of full tuition and fees or $10,000 for room and board at colleges and universities served by an Army ROTC program. Scholarship recipients also receive an annual stipend of 13,060 or more. In exchange, the student “must be dedicated to the National Guard upon commissioning,” according to the Hawai’i National Guard.

Ufano found out about the scholarship when Sergeant Chea first visited her Spanish class and presented the various opportunities the National Guard offers to students. “I knew I wanted to go to college but I didn’t know how I was going to get the money for that. I know scholarships could get me some money, but I knew it wasn’t going to pay for a lot. Eventually Sergeant Chea contacted me, I took the ASVAB, and from there it started rolling,” said Ufano.

Leiann Maui Diego was also recognized that morning for his promotion to Private First Class effective March eighth.

Interested high school seniors can contact the Professor of Military Science or Recruiting Operations Officer at the Army ROTC program that serves their college or university for more information. There are 275 host programs that cover nearly 3,000 schools across the United States.