Voting for a Voice

Two Students Compete to Become the 2018-2019 Student Body President.

Student Council elections are coming up at James Campbell High School (JCHS) and the Class of 2019 junior council will soon become seniors. The student council plans many of the major events such as Homecoming and Prom. While the Administration and the Student Association limit what council can do, the officers and representatives of student council do their best to implement the ideas of the student body. For the final time, Charlise Limjoco-Ragasa will run for class President, running against opponent, Noah Cordeiro.  

A common trend between many Juniors is that they want more student involvement. “Councils can be better next school year by being more interactive with the student body and get our opinions,” a JCHS junior, Allyssa Quiane, said.

Each candidate has their own goals and ideas for how they want to run their council next year, here are the facts:

Photo By Maile Morrell
Photo By Maile Morrell

Charlise Limjoco-Ragasa

Why You Should Vote for Me:

• President of the Class of 2019 Council since her Freshman year
  • Years of leadership experience

Why I am Running For President:

• “I believe in finishing the job. I know my council well enough to be able to identify what we specifically need to work on in order to make the last year of everyone’s high school career memorable.”

My Plans for the School Year:

• Students will be invited to attend weekly meeting to share their opinions and ideas
  • “My main goal for next year is to get participation to increase.”
  • “Senior year is supposed to be the time that you have fun, so I think getting everyone to participate and making it memorable for them is my main goal.”
  • “Building those relationships and making it known and open that council is approachable is basically the priority”

Noad Cordeiro

Why You Should Vote for Me:

• “Someone else should take over, and continue on with their legacy.”

Why I am Running For President:

•  “If someone else were to step in, you could take what the person left behind and possibly take it to further extents.”

My Plans for the School Year:

• Getting the class involved with Project Grad fundraisers and making memories.
  • Getting input from fellow classmates.
  • “They [upcoming seniors] could possibly help us with senior luau… the same thing goes for prom. ‘Where do you want the location at? What type of colors do you want?’ There’s a lot that can be done.”
  • “I want to see more involvement with the class and I want the class to contribute to school pride.”
  • “If I were to become president, I will ask as many class of 2019 students as possible for their opinion face to face.”

On March 27th during lunch, students can vote for who they want to lead their class in their final year of high school. As long as students are obligation-free and come to G107 wearing a school uniform and ID, they can vote for the officers and representatives for their grade level.