Promdemic: Planning prom in the midst of a pandemic

Maddex Raquedan, Reporter

Prom. Probably one of the most popular and iconic events the high school experience.  The question is, will James Campbell High School be having this event this year for its juniors and seniors?  Like many activities and events, previously scheduled formal dances were cancelled due to COVID-19 regulations which started in March 2020.

Seniors and juniors for the past two school years weren’t able to attend prom, due to the school year being cut short, and the following school year was entirely online.

Although schools began letting students and teacher on campus in August of 2021, there hasn’t been any word if any events such as prom will take place. 

However, many families across the state threw proms and other school events in their own homes to allow their kids to experience them, even if it was a little different from the usual.  

Mckenzie Fagin, Class of 2022 President said, “Some possible alternatives that the Senior Council has in place would include a Prom Drive-By where we would provide some of the vendors a regular prom would have things such as a photo booth, music, etc.” 

They are prepared for Covid and the rules that apply to that as well. “We would have to enforce no dancing since it would put the students in close proximity to one another. We would also have to ask for proof of vaccination or a negative Covid-19 test since most venues require it,” Fagin said.

It’s a step up from the last two school years, even if there would be no dancing taking place.  “It’s quite unfortunate that we haven’t been able to have a prom or any form of a dance for the past two years. I feel like a lot of students look forward to these types of events since it is sort of like a rite of passage for us,” Fagin said.

But things may be looking up. “I have faith that we will be able to hold a prom this year. Since prom would fall under the month of April 2022, we are hoping that Covid-19 regulations will not be as ‘strict’ and we will be able to provide something for our class.” Fagin said, but she is also certain that it will not be like it was in previous years.

If prom is not a possibility, “My goal is to not have the senior class leave empty-handed, meaning that we shift our focus to another activity in replacement of what would be our prom,” Fagin said. So there is still hope for a one-of-a-kind experience for this year’s Seniors of James Campbell High School.